Popular Posts

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Wordle lesson

I used wordle in a lesson today for the first time ever. with 1st graders. I taught a 10-minute run through (on the ACTIVboard so they could see what I was doing) in the classroom and then we moved to the computer lab. Their task was to create a wordle about themselves (this was an introductory lesson, after all). I had them enter their name 5 times; then use words that describe themselves (relationships: daughter, sister, etc; physical: blonde, curly; things they like to do: baseball, dance, play, games; characteristics: funny, silly, smart, helpful). They decided how important each word was and entered it that number of times. Their favorite part was playing around with formats, fonts, and colors.

I was a little concerned if six and seven-year-old would get the idea of entering a word several times to show its importance. The next concern, of course, is the actual typing...it was slow, one-finger hunt and peck...but the end result - they were SO GOOD! And the kids were SO PROUD of them. I allowed them to print two (black/white) copies: one to take home and one fore me. I did take a few pics on the iPad so we have them in color, too.
A few pics so you can get the idea: They loved it - can't wait to do another. Keep in mind that they are first graders and we were in the computer lab so they didn't have the word wall and spelling dictionaries they're accustomed to using if they don't know how to spell a word. They misspelled a few words (sometimes, they misspelled one word
a few ways!) which kept the word from being as large as they wanted. I was very pleased with the results, though!
Currently, they're researching a rain forest animal so next week, they're going to create a wordle about their animal. I can't wait to see how those turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment